Monday, June 18, 2007

Dear Diary,

There are some things that I thought would be or be over by the time I reached my thirties...

  1. I thought I wouldn't care about how tan I was every summer.
  2. I thought I would be more content with my weight.
  3. I thought I would not have to worry about money.
  4. I thought I would be over getting mad at my girlfriends because they don't call
    enough.
  5. I thought I would forget more of my teenage life so it wouldn't look so appealing!
  6. I thought good-byes would hurt less.
  7. I thought I'd be around to watch my parents get older and be able to help them.
  8. Along the same lines as #7...I thought I would be able to get really sick and not have that inner longing to lay in my mom's lap and let her rub my head-I thought I'd be more independent.
  9. I thought I would like coffee in the morning like other adults.
  10. I thought I would have traveled more.

    Of course, this list isn't exhaustive. I have things every day that come to me and surprise me with the reality that I am in a new decade of my life and still very, very much the same person I was at 18.

    It leads me to wonder if I'll feel the same when I'm 73?

    Oh well.

    Today I mowed the grass and washed the new doors in the garage. I paid the bills and made Brownies for desert for supper. I also made this fabulous apple salad that no one in my family liked and all groaned at when we sat down to eat.

    It could have hurt my feelings but after this many years with them, I've embraced that their disdain means I don't have to share and I can eat right out of the bowl.

    Satisfaction.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I am standing up and cheering my complete agreement!